Friday, August 17, 2018

Dozens Of Donuts: Discontinued




Give it time and everything eventually ends. For Dozens Of Donuts, that time has come today. Despite the scope of content I've created over these past five years (wow), this realization was inevitable. Unfortunately, many factors have contributed to this, some of which I'll discuss here, none of which lies on the lack of viewership Dozens Of Donuts amassed over the years. Sure, there were a few years early on that I cared about gathering a large fanbase - working with other sites and promoting my material as much as possible - but recently I learned that this obsessive hobby of mine kept me crawling back through a simple and deep love of music. There's an ardent fondness I harbor that believes music to be the most powerful and important form of art there is. That hasn't subsided one bit, as I look forward - with the extra time I'll soon have - to exploring the endless sea of material, discovering new favorites along the way.

One word kept coming back to me when dangling on this decision for the past few weeks; burden. That's what Dozens Of Donuts - thanks to outside factors - has become. A burden. And that, when implanted subconsciously in the writer, does not make for quality content. As I discussed late last year in a write-up that forecasted this particular moment, the workload I've received for my actual job has only increased. Whereas previously I had upwards of 15 free hours a week at work to write - sometimes nearing 25 at DoD's peak during my last job - that number now rests around five. Couple that with a renewed interest in certain hobbies - including reading comic books, playing video games, hanging out with friends, and working out at the gym - and the free hours upon hours I had years ago has swiftly evaporated. There's just not enough time in the day. So, in a sense, old man time - or the lack thereof - has caused Dozens Of Donuts' demise.

These past six years have been incredible for me. Of course, there's been online friends made along the way, plus quiet and dedicated lurkers who appreciate my work as much as I appreciate their interest. But really, what I've learned through DoD has been largely personal. The thousands of hours whittling away with my thoughts, restlessly trying to parlay them to you, the reader, has been such an indescribably-rewarding experience. Writing, listening, composing images, all on this very laptop from which I type, has become a sort of mediation for me. It's taught me to listen, to absorb, to react.

So, after 647 (!) published articles and an immeasurable amount of words, I'm retiring the blog.* There's a necessary asterisk because, even though this is somber news today, it doesn't mean I'll be gone for good. Yes, the weekly reviews and loosies, the monthly Past Greatness, Deep Cuts, and Grab Bags will cease. Those self-regulated guidelines became too toilsome to keep up with. However, cutting off contact with writing reviews and composing lists will be difficult, so don't be surprised if a stray notification pops up for an album I couldn't help but review. And without a doubt, be prepared for DoD's comprehensive year-end lists, something I take great joy in creating. It goes further than that though. As a few readers are most certainly aware of, I use RateYourMusic on a frequent basis. That will continue, and likely expand, considering the labor Dozens Of Donuts will halt. For those unaware, RateYourMusic's a website where you...rate your music. And that's what I do. There you'll see every album and single I've heard rated, along with mini write-ups for every one in my Listening Log. Lists currently exist and will progress in that regard. All of my reviews can be found there as well. This is also the easiest way to contact me, through the comment box section on my page. The link can be found here: Dozens Of Donuts.

So, I think that's all there is to say. Once again, thank you to all readers of DoD - both short-term and long - for sticking with these tedious and exceedingly serious reviews. Time has caught up with me but best believe, had it not, this blog of mine would've continued until these withered fingers couldn't type anymore. Who would've guessed that the writer known for being excessively wordy wouldn't be able to find a concise way to end. Sometimes you just gotta learn to stop. Goodbye and thanks for everything.

- Brian

5 comments:

  1. I've been a lurker here for over 2 years now, and I just wanted to thank you for putting out such quality content over that time. I'm sorry to hear that this blog won't be continuing, but I certainly hope to see your reviews and ratings on RYM. Take care man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shit was dope. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was a go-to for me to discover music and engage with criticism. Our tastes overlapped in many ways and diverged in others. I appreciate your reviews and wish you well on future endeavors. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. damn. i only discovered this blog earlier this year but within 10mins of reading it, put it in my top 5 music blog rotation - which includes RYM. i read a lot of music blogs and search for a lot of music online and this was exceptional. thank you for your time and effort. i'll still check it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramon, I really appreciate the sentiment. Come back in a month and a half and I'll have a full, year-end round-up for you! Other than that, for 2019 (based on free time obviously), I'm considering doing a monthly round-up of the best stuff that month.

      Delete